Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 17 - A picture of something that has made a huge impact on me recently

So many things have happened in the world lately, that it's difficult to say what the "hugest" impact has been.

However if I had to pick one that was the most gut-wrenching, it was the devastation in Christchurch.  I know there were worse scenes in Japan, but Christchurch holds a special place in my heart.

I fell in love with the city on a trip to New Zealand in 2008.  It's a pretty, quaint and historic place and its surrounding areas are absolutely gorgeous.

This is a picture of the timeball in Lyttleton when we were there.  The kids and I spent an afternoon exploring the building and learning about the history of Lyttleton and the timeball station.




This is the timeball post-quake.  It probably won't make it through the constant tremors and there's a chance it will have to be demolished.




My heart went out to Lyttleton when I saw this photo.  Initially we went exploring in this little village to find shooting locations from the Michael J Fox movie "The Frighteners" but the more I saw, the more I loved this place.

I have to go back to Lyttleton someday.  I need to know that they survived and rebuilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment