Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 13 - A photo of my favorite band or artist

If you know me, you know I love my music.  It's my re-energising force, creates a barrier from the real world and can just make a bad day so much better.

I have so many bands and artists that I love, but looking back over the years, there has been one constant the whole way through my life musically.  I fell in love with his music in my early teens and have followed him along his long and sometimes controversial career ever since. 




He is an entertainer.  He can dance like no other.  And the day he died, I knew how Don McLean felt when he wrote "American Pie", cos to me, the music died. 

Say what you like about him, I don't care.  I love his music.  Thriller was the first album I saved up and bought out of my own money.  I stayed up until midnight on Fridays to watch the uncut version of the film clip.  In my mind I can still see Richard Wilkins sitting on his sofa, warning of the content and advising parental guidance.  I remember the thrill of watching Mickey J dance.  And I loved it.  I wore sequined gloves, and wanted a red leather jacket complete with zippers.  His posters were all over my walls.  I copied his dance moves (or at least tried).  I joined his fan club and wrote him fan mail.  Corny I know, but that's what 13 year old girls did in those days.

He was troubled, there is no doubt about that.  His life was a circus, there is no doubt about that either.  But the man could write music, he could choreograph the most amazing dance moves, and his film clips still leave me absolutely breathless. 

I loved many bands and artists in my teens.  I was going to marry many of them.  Most people haven't even heard the music of most of them - they were a passing craze (like I hope Justin Bieber will be!!!!)  The beauty of MJ is that his music will live forever.  My kids love his music (thanks to a very talented music and dance teacher who shares my passion for his music).  They strive to emulate his dance moves.  And while the man may be gone, his music will live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment